- Shin Brook Falls - Three major falls with a total drop of 18 yards. 4.5 miles from Shin Pond Village. 15 minute hike to the falls, this is a Steep descent to the bottom. Great fishing and swimming area.
- Baxter State Park - Mile high Mt. Katahdin towers over this 200,000 acre wilderness park.
- Sawtelle Falls - Sawtelle Brook T6R7. 5 yard drop into stone gorge from massive sandstone ledge. 8 miles from Shin Pond Village.
- Sawtelle Deadwater - Approximately 2.5 miles long. Canoe early morning in May and June for Spectacular Moose sightings.
- Patten Lumberman's Museum - Artifacts tracing Maine's lumbering history.
- Baxter State Park - A wilderness park of 204,733 acres, was a gift to the State of Maine by former Gov. Percival P. Baxter. there are 46 mountain peaks and ridges, 18 od which exceed an elevation of 3000 ft., the highest being Baxter Peak at 5,267 ft. The trail system features over 180 miles of trails. Gov. Baxter expressed the spirit of the park...
"Man is born to die. His works are short lived. Buildings crumble, monuments decay, wealth vanishes, but Katahdin in all its glory forever shall remain the Mountain of the People of Maine."
Have you climbed Katahdin Yet?
- Mt. Chase - Overlooking Shin Pond Village. Height 2,440 ft., 1.5 hour hike to the summit which rises gracefully over Upper Shin Pond.
- Grand Lake Matagamon T5R8 - Approximately 4165 acres and 11 miles long. Brook trout, Togue, landlocked Salmon, Cusk and Whitefish are plentiful in this large lake, Matagamon is home to the Matagamon Boy Scout Base - an adventure camp for scouts worldwide.
- East Branch Penobscot River T6R8 - a 26 mile canoe trip from Grand Lake Matagamon to Whetstone Falls demands skill and strength. One of Maine's truly classic trips. River tubing is a popular sport on the river. Great canoeing and kayaking abounds. This river boasts many points of interest:
- GrandPitch - approximately 8 miles from Matagamon Store, a spectacular 7 yard drop on the river.
- Haskell Rock Pitch - 6 miles down river you'll find a huge boulder in river, sit on this boulder and you have a great view of Bald Mtn.
- Pond Pitch - 7 miles of river flowing over the ledges. Also Hulling Machine, Stair Falls and Bowlin Falls are great sights on the river.
- The Lookout - is 8 miles from Matagamon Store and this view is incredible, whether you arrive by car or on snowmobile you need to see this view!
- Upper & Lower Shin Pond - Approximately 500 acres, each 3 miles in length. Public beach for swimming in Lower Shin Pond. Salmon, Trout and Bass.
- Sugarloaf Mountain - 1740 ft. 45 minute hike to summit. This mountain can be seen in the distance when coming into the town of Patten.
- Seboeis River - a 24 mile canoe trip from Seboeis River Campground to Whetstone Falls. Seboeis means "little river" and it is when compared with the East Branch. There is a set of falls on this river that you can hike to.
- Relax by a crackling fire and listen for the call of the Loons.
- Photograph abundant wildlife and wild flowers.
- Nature walks and bird watching.
- Canoeing the area lakes and rivers offers enjoyment and adventure.
- Browse through antique shops
- Float plane service nearby.
Visit the Northern Katahdin Valley today.
SHIN POND VILLAGE, INC.1489 Shin Pond Road · Mt. Chase, ME 04765
Explore our vast region where Life is Great!